Search This Blog

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Old Nick

Living in an area of Toronto where some of the best restaurants in the city are only a few blocks away I have never felt inspired to write about any one or another in a positive or negative light....after all if you don't like it there is an alternative right next door.  Not to mention the fact that there are countless others who will tell you where to dine in Toronto, I usually feel like my 2cent endorsement is pretty worthless.

But just in case someone has not read Tena In Toronto , or is reading a years old NOW endorsement, or thinks that the rainbow on the door mean something good, let me prompt you to look for the alternative.

I have been to the Old Nick on several occasions.  For those that are not partial to Greek food but want to meet on the Danforth, I have recommended it more than once on the grounds that the beer selection is pretty good and the menu has a few standouts, the service was friendly and attentive...back in the day.  The downfall began with less attentive service which has kept me away for some time.

This evening, post pedicure, I was feeling special and wanted to treat myself; so skipped across the street to Nicks. ...being as nobody came to seat me I crawled onto a barstool (I don't usually like being perched on a barstool) and ordered a  Boddington. After a while some live talent showed up.  The first act was nice enough so I decided to stay and ordered some of the homecut onion rings that I considered a sinful treat.  When they showed up it was a basket of rings that I could have got from Burger King and the live talent was guitar singer/songwriter who was syncing to his MP3 player.  

Shame that what used to be a great place is no more....but if you like Jazz come a few blocks north and get honest live music at Whistlers.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out!

    We weren't overly excited about the place when we were there in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that place. Sad to hear it's gone downhill. Never a good thing when a local business stops caring.

    ReplyDelete