Search This Blog

Friday, November 5, 2010

Give up Sunshine

This day is winding down. I am sitting here with laptop on my lap. Sooty is on the back of the sofa front paws on my shoulder purring up a storm directly into my right ear. She smells 1/2 like oatmeal dry bath spray and 1/2 like cod liver oil....more of it got on her than in her. The smell will dissipate as she continues to bath herself. It is worth the slight fish smell to see her coat look so healthy and shiny. Nice way to end a day.


When this day began it was like most days begin, with me not wanting to get out of bed. The alarm going off. Then again, then again, then again. Sooty coming upstairs and hopping up onto the princess bed looking for love. Hit snooze one more time while snuggling.

The sun is barely crept over the horizon and through the window I see the branches of the trees, their leaves changed color weeks ago and only a few have not been blown off yet. I want to lay in bed with my loving cat at my side and enjoy the beautiful day; but alas there are responsibilities. The first one is to flip the blankest off and get to hell out of bed.

Patter down the stairs and pour myself a cups of coffee, fill the bird feeder, put out some food for the kitties. The birds come, the cats come out to watch the birds. They are next door I think it is Georgie and Other. They are chasing each other, I have not seen those two play for a long time. A couple of squirrels arrive to clean up the bird food that the birds are shaking onto the ground. I am leaning against the counter, sipping my coffee, without effort there is a smile creeping onto my face, the squirrel climbs the lilac tree and attempts to reach the bird feeder, weather it is because the birds are harassing it or it realizes the futility of its efforts, it gives up and I chuckle. I would like to stay and watch some more but the day beckons.

Back up the stairs clean, groom, dress, damn I am late. I am supposed to be at my desk in 10 minutes. I still have not said good morning to Stu. My darling bunny is waiting patiently to be acknowledged. I kneel down to give him some cheek rubs and kisses. Then I head to the kitchen to get his morning meds. Instead of waiting patiently on his mat he follows me to the kitchen.....well not onto the kitchen floor but to the edge of the living room. His Medcam is pineapple flavor and he thinks it is a treat. But the treat he really wants is more cheek rubs. He does tooth purrs and it feels wrong to rush off when all he wants is love. Just two more minutes then I must go.

Driving to work I merge into the Don Valley Parkway, the valley is full of a low lying mist. Again the nearly naked trees are looking elegant and beautiful the mist adds a mystical shroud. I want to pull in to Taylor Creek and go for a walk, but I am already late for work.

The Lyrics of a Harry Chapin song include the line "we give up our sunshine, so we can buy what we need". Today feels like one of those days.

1 comment: