Search This Blog

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Rememberance Day

Nov 11, Remembrance Day, is a day that we take a moment out of our lives to pay respect to the soldiers who have faced combat to defend our citizens and values.  One moment, on the 11th day of the 11th month at the 11th hour. 


Many of us feel compelled to give more than a single moment out of the day and attend a Remembrance Day service.  I usually attend the service at either Old City Hall or the one at the East York Community Centre.  I like the former because of the big old Cenotaph seems to add dignity to the service, I like the one at the East York Community Centre because it includes local school children and members of the local Police, Firefighters, and service people.  All told the service and the time it takes to line up to put my poppy on the Cenotaph might take 30-45 minutes out of my life.


I will usually take a personal day on November 11th. Attending the service will be the most important thing I do that day (heck it might be the most important thing that I do all week, month, year), but it wont be the only thing that i do that day.  The day will usually include shopping of some type.  The William Ashley Warehouse Sale has began so I will likely end up going there. 


One place that I will not be going (although in all honesty I might have) will be to visit any Eddie Store.  Eddie  Bauer has decided that Remembrance Day is a day that I am supposed to remember to buy socks as opposed to Remembering the efforts of the armed forces.  I think it is disgusting that a day that is supposed to honor soldiers is being used to promote a sale

No comments:

Post a Comment