Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2011

A walk to Evergreen Brickworks

For some reason I thought that Evergreen Brickworks Farmers Market took place on Saturdays and Sundays between 9am and 1pm.

Grumble grumble grumble, some of us like to sleep in on the weekend.  But today I pulled on my new super duper warm winter coat and decided to brave the cold weather alert and take a walk over to see what they had to offer....





As the crow flies it might be 1/2 k to the Brickworks Grounds.....but as the roads and trails wind it is 2km


When I got there I realized that the Farmers Market is only on Saturday....grumble grumble.  I wandered the buildings a bit...as previously mentioned there is an ice area for skaters...there was an area where a fella was selling a handful of what I assume was vegan organic wares to the skaters. No hot chocolate, french fries, and potato  chips.  $8 chili, something that looks like a light brown brownie. I think there was coffee but I did not stop to find out.  There was a child's birthday party going on....the building is concrete and the squeals of delighted children and bursting balloons was reverberation of walls and ceilings.....I really don't know what the intent of the new building is.  It is four stories of empty building right now.....I don't want to knock it cuz it is an Environmental organization which is a good cause. Maybe there is something more to it that I don't understand.

I decided to keep on going.  I didn't have my skates or a shovel with me but I wanted to check out the ponds.  There is something about walking over frozen water that is always a bit thrilling.  The ponds were all frozen solid.  The main pond had been trampled and snow has melted and refroze.   The result has left the ice lumpy and bumpy but the big pond at the back is in excellent condition.  I was wishing that I had my gear. 


But on this day I had to content myself with a walk on the crisp sunny day.  Today I would have to stick to the main trails for the most part because I was not dressed for rolling in the snow.  Good thing there is a road that goes up the escarpment and some beautiful winter foliage along the way.

Some brave souls risked the Poison Ivy LOL

When I got to the point where I would go going down the other side of  the escarpment I came upon this abandoned wagon.  I pondered as to how this sidewalk method of transportation had come to be abandoned next to the old railway track...the answer will remain a mystery. 



Would I make it down the steep hill without falling....I really did not want to wet my bottom.  Yeah I made it....then there was another steep winding trek up Pottery Hill Road..I was feeling pretty good about my walk as I crested the top of the hill and faced the final challenge of my walk....

Yes I kept on going.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to wonder over and check it out some time. Lemme know how the market is.

    ReplyDelete