Search This Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentines Day is Comming

When I was a child we exchanged Valentines cards at school.  Things are probably the same today, but I don't have a child so I cannot be sure.  Before Valentines day I would bring a list home that had the names of all of my classmates.  I would be made to sit at the kitchen table and write the name of each of the children's names int the TO: space on one of the cards ripped apart at the perforation point.  There was no telling Mom that I hated so and so and did not want to give them a card.  I would give one to each child and one to the teacher.  My only recourse was to pick the ugliest card and give it to the kid I did not like....Porky the Pig, Uglyy Monkey, the People of Scooby Doo.  The prettiest card went to my best friend and all others fell in between, but Mom would check the list to make sure that there was one for everyone To Donna M From Donna H, To Donna A From Donna H, To Kim M from Donna H, To Kim P From Donna H, to Mary From Donna H......Donna and Kim were the popular names the year I was born.

The sugar rush would have been supplied by Moms....although in retrospect we never took that into account....the cupcakes and cookies and rice krispy squares magically appeared as most mother supplied things do. 

These days Donna M, Donna A, Kim P and Him M are likely receiving valentines cards from Husbands and kids.  Being as Donna H is not, I carry on the tradition.  I perforate a box of 48 valentines day cards and decide who in my office is getting the Baby Cub or the Fawn.  I have to admit that the few people in my office that I really and truly do not like I don't include on my list. But the ones who are on the fence are given an ugly monkey.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you are my Bunlentine tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete