Search This Blog

Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Legacy of September 11, 2001

Just when I thought 911 was being slotted to its horrific spot in history the whole Terry Jones fiasco rears up.


This man takes it upon himself to disrespect the faith of somewhere between 1-2 billion "B"illion people because a handful (or less) of that population committed such an atrocity nine years ago. Politicians worldwide have condemned this guy, but lots of people have given him validation.

Last week I was in the lineup at Walmart and read on the cover of a tabloid that President Barack Obama is Muslim. The proof was inside. The people behind me in line were noticing it too and they shook their heads saying that they did not believe it was true. I said that I did not believe so either, but that if he is it is not a crime worthy of such a headline.   After giving it a few seconds thought, they agreed with me.  It took a few seconds for them to realize that being Muslim is not a crime.

It seems more and more an insipid acceptance of racism against Muslim people (or just to be safe anyone with brown skin) is infesting American society.   And American Society has a very strong influence on Canadian Society and I suspect many European societies. 

After the attacks of 911, the United States and the world were numb, but made a conscious decision to NOT  give in to terrorists, to NOT sit in front of the television terrified by the repeated images of towers falling and get on with our lives.  I am hopeful that that same resolve can be recognized to turn us back from the backslide into racism that seems to be permeating popular feelings.

I wish I were only writing to commemorate the lives that were lost or devastated in the attacks 9 years ago, I feel I am committing a slur those lives and the families that have personally grieved, to be writing about anything else.  I honestly wish that this day would be set aside for them. 

This should not be a day for posturing.  Religions have their Holy days, Veterans have their days (albeit not significant enough to recognize their heroism) but today should be about the victims of the attacks, and the Free World that stood up refused to be defeated by those attacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment