Search This Blog

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sherlock original BBC series picked up by Showcase

Years ago I read the complete Sherlock Holmes series, not so much out of an interest in the character but because it seemed to me that the main characters and supporting characters seemed to be referred to rather often in the TV, movies, and books I was reading at the time

The BBC series Sherlock has thus far impressed me.  Although set in modern times the stories follow the tales set down by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle with more accuracy that I expected.  They have not tried to turn Sherlock into a charismatic hero.  This Sherlock is a socially awkward genius, his morphine addiction has been replaced with a nicotine addiction (fed by patches), Dr Watson is a veteran of the current war in Afghanistan as the original was of the same country different time.

Hollywood could learn a thing or two from BBC about how to treat a beloved fictional hero.  The character development of Sherlock is great.  The evolution of the friendship between the two main characters and their interaction with Scotland Yard is great. 

Love it, hope it does not get canceled.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen the series ... I saw the Robert Downey Jr. movie and wasn't overly impressed.

    ReplyDelete